Wednesday 28 February 2007

Hackney

Today we ventured out to one of the London Boroughs - Hackney. Now, what might have enticed us to make this trip I hear you ask? You may have heard of a British label called Burberry - well, the factory store for Burberry is located at Hackney. Burberry was founded by Thomas Burberry in 1856. In 1880 he invented gabardine, a hard-wearing, water-resistent fabric in which the yarn is waterproofed before weaving. This fabric was then used to pioneer their signature item - the tan raincoat. In 1924, the now widely recognised tan, red, white and black Burberry Check was introduced to the brand, and is now a registered trademark. So Lisa and I made the trek (it really was a trek - I hate bus rides when you don't know what stop you're supposed to get off at!) to Hackney and low and behold, down a random side street was the factory store for Burberry. If you were in the market for a coat, then this definitely is the place to come. Coats that retail at DJ's for more than $2000 were between 200 and 400 pounds... now that's a saving! If I lived here, I might just have been tempted to make a purchase! Speaking of purchases, you didn't think we came all the way here and that I didn't buy anything?!! True to my usual tradition, I added (another) pair of shoes to my wardrobe!

After the Burberry outlet, we stumbled upon an usual Turkish Cafe - we were especially drawn in by their lunch deal for 7 pounds! It was some of the best food I've had in a long time. 7 pounds got us 3 salads, hot turkish bread, chicken shish kebab with yoghurt dressing and a drink! Value for money as well as fantastic food. If it wasn't so far away, I'd definitely be going back. So, if you are ever in Hackney (or at the Burberry outlet) let me know and I'll give you details!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And burberry want to close their factory in Wales and manufacture off shore...what a shame to a british icon...